Under-secretary general Valerie Amos wrote to Ambassador Ron Prosor that the UN would launch an internal inquiry.
And now Badawi issues this cold correction?
I don’t see any expression of regret or apology here.
I don’t see Badawi taking ownership of her mistake.
What do I see?
A woman whose job is at risk and whose name is discredited.
A woman who thought this would blow over if she laid low.
A woman who knew for a whole week that she was wrong, but was too proud to do the right thing.
And way too late.
We hope the growing grassroots momentum forces the UN to take accountability for the actions of its employees. Sign HonestReporting’s petition and join the thousands of people calling for Badawi’s dismissal.
Follow the full story of Khulood Badawi’s false photo tweet:
- Top Tweet on Gaza Proven False
- Exposed: UN Media Official Responsible for False Photo Tweet
- No Accountability For UN Official’s False Photo Tweet
- Following Up: Why the Radio Silence?
- Ambassador Demands Badawi’s Dismissal
- False Photo Tweet: UN Launches Inquiry
- Badawi’s Cold Correction