Israel’s Operation Cast Lead generated many headlines and accusations at the time against Israel and the IDF, including “war crimes” and “disproportionality”.
While the military operation came to an end in January 2009, a new legal battlefront opened up against Israel in the UN, as a one-sided commission of inquiry led by Judge Richard Goldstone published its report.
In the immediate aftermath of the Goldstone Report’s publication, many initial critiques and media items can be found in HonestReporting’s own Special Report on Goldstone.
As time has progressed, more information and research examining Goldstone’s findings have become available, particularly debunking some of the charges of “war crimes” laid at Israel’s door.
These serious charges are unlikely to disappear from the anti-Israel discourse in the foreseeable future. Here, HonestReporting presents some of the most recent studies and articles concerning the Goldstone Report and Operation Cast Lead:
Reports and Studies
- The Goldstone Report: Rewarding Palestinian Terror, HonestReporting Special Report, 16 Sept. 2009
- Gaza Operations Investigations: An Update, Israel Ministry of Foreign Affairs, January 2010 (PDF format)
- The Challenge of the UN Gaza Report, JCPA
- New Revelations About the UN Goldstone Report that Seriously Undermine its Credibility, Dore Gold & Jonathan D. Halevi, JCPA, Feb. 2010
- Hamas & the Terrorist Threat from the Gaza Strip – The Main Findings of the Goldstone Report Versus the Factual Findings, Intelligence and Terrorism Information Center, March 2010 (PDF format)
- A Moral Evaluation of the Gaza War – Operation Cast Lead, Asa Kasher, JCPA, 4 Feb. 2010
- Blocking the Truth of the Gaza War: How the Goldstone Commission Understated the Hamas Threat to Palestinian Civilians, Jonathan D. Halevi, JCPA, 18 Sept. 2009
- The Case Against the Goldstone Report: A Study in Evidentiary Bias, Alan Dershowitz
- Goldstone’s Gaza Report: Part One: A Failure of Intelligence, Richard Landes, MERIA Journal, Dec. 2009
- Goldstone’s Gaza Report: Part Two: A Miscarriage of Human Rights, Richard Landes, MERIA Journal, Dec. 2009
- Reconsidering the Goldstone Report on Israel and war crimes, Richard Goldstone, Washington Post, 2 April 2011
- Goldstone: If I Had Known Then What I Know Now…, HonestReporting, 3 April 2011