In 2010, a flotilla led by the Turkish Islamist organization IHH attempted to break Israel’s legal naval blockade of Gaza. Israeli soldiers were viciously attacked while boarding the Mavi Marmara resulting in nine deaths and many injuries.
Israel came under intense pressure diplomatically and in the media.
In 2011, another flotilla attempted to recreate the media storm and inflict more damage on Israel’s image and the legitimate right to defend itself through naval blockades or other means.
Make sure you know the facts and the arguments by using our list of resources.
- Flotilla Facts, StandWithUs
- ProIsraeli.org – All You Need to Know About the Flotilla (multiple languages), Like For Israel
- Flotilla Farce, Awesome Seminars
- NGOs and the Gaza Flotilla, NGO Monitor
- Canadian Boat to Gaza: A Dangerous Political Stunt, Canada-Israel Committee
- IDF blog
- Information bulletins from the Meir Amit Intelligence and Terrorism Information Center
- Who Is Behind the Second Gaza Flotilla, Ehud Rosen, JCPA
Media and Opinion
- Q&A: Is Israel’s naval blockade of Gaza legal?, Reuters
- Ship of useful idiots?, Margaret Wente, The Globe and Mail
- Israel’s Gaza sea blockade is an act of self-defense, Amos N. Guiora, LA Times
- Israel’s blockade protects it from bloody conflagration, Yoram Elron, Montreal Gazette
- A flotilla of fiends – and useful idiots, Benny Avni, New York Post
- Question: When can a country intercept a vessel, Melanie Lidman, Jerusalem Post
- The floating Gaza Strip show, Washington Times
- Anti-Israel fanatics are reprising the flotilla that got nine killed last year trying to run the leg, New York Daily News
- Gaza flotilla blind to Hamas, Arsen Ostrovsky, The Australian
- Building Boom in Gaza’s Ruins Belies Misery That Remains, Ethan Bronner, New York Times
- How can do-gooders possibly think that Gaza is the primary centre of injustice in the Middle East?, Kevin Myers, Irish Independent
- Why Alice Walker shouldn’t sail to Gaza, Howard Jacobson, CNN
- Media crossing the line, Simon Plosker, YNet News
- Fame, not freedom, is the goal of the latest flotilla bound for Gaza, Rowan Dean, Sydney Morning Herald
- International activists should take the road to Damascus, not Gaza, Steven King, Irish Examiner
- Bogus peace activists are planning another effort to run Israel’s blockade of Gaza, New York Daily News
- How Palestinians became the baby seals of the Western human rights lobby, Brendan O’Neill, Daily Telegraph
- Second Gaza flotilla looks for trouble, Brian D. Siegal, Miami Herald
- Gaza flotilla an anti-Israel setup, Lilli Platt, Newsday