Maalot Massacre Mastermind Returning to West Bank?February 3, 2013 16:25 by Pesach Benson
Israel and the Palestinians
• Quote of the Day (Part 1)
Appealing as this may sound, the one-state solution is like telling a couple in the midst of a messy breakup that, since they can’t agree on how to divide up the CD collection, the answer to their problems is to get married instead.
Matt Hill, writing in The Independent.
Iranian Atomic Urgency
• Quote of the Day (Part 2)
‘My job’, the Supreme Leader replied, ‘is to set Israel on fire.’
Iran’s Ayatollah Ali Khamenei to then-Spanish Prime Minister Jose Maria Aznar, as described by Elliott Abrams.
• The Christian Science Monitor explains why Argentina’s now eager to make nice with Iran, despite the unresolved issue of Iran’s links to bombings of the Jewish community center and Israeli embassy in Buenos Aires:
Banned from international credit markets because of outstanding debts with the Paris Club and World Bank, Argentina has brokered bilateral agreements with autocratic regimes like Iran. Pinioned by international sanctions, Iran has also had to look for new partners, finding in South America a sympathetic group of populist governments, according to Djavad Salehi-Isfahani, an economist and professor at Virginia Tech university.
• Yemen confirmed that the arms ship it intercepted last week was an Iranian vessel and disclosed some of the weaponry destined for Houthi rebels. Reuters says we’re talking about Russian-made SAM 2 and SAM 3 missiles.
• Egypt ‘s interior minister apologized after video surfaced of policemen beating a naked man near the presidential palace. NY Times coverage.
• National Post columnist Jonathan Kay is worth reading:
Welcome to the new Arab world — where no one really cares much about Israel
Rest O’ the Roundup
• You think fact-checking a photo is easy? When an unusual photo from his hometown went viral, Matthew Hansen went to the trouble of tracking down the truth behind The Great Omaha Manhole Fireball Mystery.
For more, see Thursday’s Israel Daily News Stream.