Israel Daily News Stream 04/15/2012April 15, 2012 14:43 by Pesach Benson
Iranian Atomic Urgency
• Dore Gold asks: Iraq’s being pulled into Iran’s sphere of influence, so why is the US providing Baghdad with arms?
• Ronen Bergman frets: Beware faulty intelligence.
• Ari Shavit warns: US leaders had better heed Israel’s warnings on Iran.
• Egyptian elections in disarray after three leading candidates were disqualified from running. The NY Times writes:
The High Election Commission struck down 10 candidates in all, including the three who have generated the most passion in this polarized nation: Khairat el-Shater, the leading strategist of the Muslim Brotherhood; Hazem Salah Abu Ismail, an ultraconservative Islamist; and Omar Suleiman, Mr. Mubarak’s former vice president and intelligence chief.
A little more than a month before the vote begins, the ruling raised new doubts about the credibility of the election, which is supposed to inaugurate a new democracy after decades of authoritarian rule.
• Josh Landis: The West needs a new calculus for dealing with Syria.
• How many refugees from Assad are there? Try 500,000.
Rest O’ the Roundup
• Why are Arab countries so eager to restore synagogues for non-existent Jewish communities? Because it pays:
Excuse my cynicism, but how is it that these countries can get away with ethnically cleansing their Jewish communities yet reap the PR benefits of restoring Jewish buildings?
• Mark Lewis, a lawyer representing several phone hacking victims, warns that the scandal could spread to the US.
“The cases I am pursuing were by the News of the World against people who were in the U.S. at the time they were hacked or were U.S. citizens,” he said in a email to The Times . . .
Clicking “Unsubscribe instantly” on your mailing will remove you from the Israel Daily News Stream list, but not from your regular HonestReporting emails.