Israel Daily News Stream 04/16/2012April 16, 2012 14:41 by Pesach Benson
Everything you need to know about today’s media coverage of Israel and the Mideast.
Palestinian flytilla a media flop. Critics worry about US handling of Iranian nuke talks. And why was a former Hamas official abducted in Syria?
Join the Israel Daily News Stream on Facebook.
Israel and the Palestinians
• The Palestinian flytilla was a failure. The JPost notes that Ben-Gurion Airport wasn’t disrupted; officials differ on whether the government’s response helped or harmed Israel’s image — but judging from YNet, it’s a purely academic debate. For an example of how the Western press viewed the event, Karin Brulliard’s Washington Post dispatch suffices.
• AFP picks up on a super-sized hunger strike by 1,600 Palestinian prisoners.
Iranian Atomic Urgency
• Jackson Diehl‘s worried about President Obama’s “diplomacy of delay” with Iran, Israel and the Palestinians, Syria, and more.
If the regime then cheats, or refuses to negotiate a more lasting solution to its pursuit of nuclear technology, Obama will end his term with Iran closer to a an atomic bomb than it was in 2009.
And if Iran won’t agree, and the talks collapse? Then Obama’s effort to stop history until November will once again depend on a man who probably would like to see him lose the election: Netanyahu. That’s the problem with asking for “space”: It tends to get filled by others.
• A former Hamas liason with Syria and Iran was abducted in Damascus. My heart bleeds . . .
Rest O’ the Roundup
• British MP Lord Nazir Ahmed was suspended for offering a bounty for the capture of Presidents Obama and Bush.
The British peer reportedly said: “‘If the US can announce a reward of $10 million for the (capture) of Hafiz Saeed, I can announce a bounty of £10 million (for the capture of) President Obama and his predecessor, George Bush.”
Lord Ahmed reportedly said he would arrange the bounty at any cost, even if he had to sell his own personal assets including his house.
For more, see yesterday’s Israel Daily News Stream.
Clicking “Unsubscribe instantly” on your mailing will remove you from the Israel Daily News Stream list, but not from your regular HonestReporting emails.