Going Rogge: An Olympic Tribute Satisfies NobodyJuly 24, 2012 12:37 by Pesach Benson
Israel and the Palestinians
Palestinians who arrive in Egypt without a visa will be allowed to stay in the country for 72 hours, the Egyptian envoy in Ramallah, Yasser Othman, announced Monday.
Iranian Atomic Urgency
• Iranians are starting to protest rising food prices as Western sanctions take a real bite. The Guardian rounds up Big Media coverage.
But did 10,000-plus Syrians have to die in order to bury the myth that Assad’s apologists had constructed for him?
• The Assad regime says chemical weapons will only be used against “external aggression.” The Times of London (paywall) wisely puts an asterisk on that language:
Western officials said that his words could be taken as a threat to use chemical weapons against the rebels because the regime has repeatedly claimed that the uprising is orchestrated by foreign or foreign-backed terrorists.
• LA Times: Middle and upper class Syrians are now joining the ranks of refugees fleeing fighting.
Rest O’ the Roundup
• Trying to “break the ice” with the Turkish public, Benjamin Netanyahu and Avigdor Lieberman met with a delegation of reporters from Turkey’s leading newspapers. Hurriyet and Zaman headlined the foreign minister’s take on an apology for the Mavi Marmara affair. But I’m not sure what to make of the divergent headlines:
Lieberman also revealed that Israel offered humanitarian assistance to Syrian rebels, who rejected the offer. The Jerusalem Post explains how Israeli diplomats in Anakara spearheaded the media outreach.
• British prosecutors are filing charges against eight News Corp. editors — including top editors Rebekah Brooks and Andy Coulson — for their roles in the phone hacking scandal:
“There is sufficient evidence for there to be a realistic prospect of conviction in relation to one or more offenses,” Alison Levitt, the principal legal adviser to Britain’s director of public prosecutions, said at a press conference.
(Image of Rogge via YouTube/nexus6c)
For more, see yesterday’s Israel Daily News Stream.
Clicking “Unsubscribe instantly” on your mailing will remove you from the Israel Daily News Stream list, but not from your regular HonestReporting email