Israeli Soldier Killed in Weekend Terror AttackSeptember 23, 2012 12:16 by Pesach Benson
Iranian Atomic Urgency
• Worth reading: Israel, Iran and the all-seeing eye of the Mossad.
• Ahmadinejad Got the UN’s Yom Kippur Slot: So What?
• David Ignatius (Washington Post) picks up on a US-Iran war game scenario that showed how quickly things could get out hand.
• More commentary at the Toronto Star.
Spring Winter and Moslem Rage
• A Washington Post staff-ed raises a strong point for Western intervention in Syria. By staying out, the field is clear for Iran to boost its influence, even if Bashar Assad falls. That’s not in Israel’s interests . . .
Some administration officials dismiss the Iranian effort as futile support for a lost cause. But Iranian backing for the regime, matched against Western passivity, could keep Mr. Assad in power indefinitely. Even if the government in Damascus collapses, Iranian commanders and the militias they’ve trained will likely stay on to compete in what could be a chaotic struggle for power that could spread from Syria to Lebanon and Iraq. Al-Qaeda and other Sunni extremist groups will be part of that fight; so will the rebel groups backed by the fundamentalist Saudis and Qataris. If it continues its present policy, the United States will go on watching from the sidelines as the future of the Levant is decided.
• Free Syrian Army moves its command center from Turkey to an area of “liberated Syria.” AP coverage.
• The NY Times talked to Mohammed Morsi ahead of his first trip to the US as Egypt’s president:
But he also argued that Americans “have a special responsibility” for the Palestinians because the United States had signed the 1978 Camp David accord. The agreement called for the withdrawal of Israeli troops from the West Bank and Gaza to make way for full Palestinian self-rule.
“As long as peace and justice are not fulfilled for the Palestinians, then the treaty remains unfulfilled,” he said.
• From the LA Times: Now in power, rifts emerge within Egypt’s Muslim Brotherhood
For more, see Thursday’s Israel Daily News Stream.
Clicking “Unsubscribe instantly” on your mailing will remove you from the Israel Daily News Stream list, but not from your regular HonestReporting emails.