Mandela Legacy Falsely Co-opted by PalestiniansDecember 23, 2013 16:08 by Simon Plosker
Many anti-Israel articles have appeared in recent weeks following the death of Nelson Mandela. Anti-Israel activists have cynically used this opportunity to parrot the false charge that Israel is an “apartheid state” while claiming that Nelson Mandela believed the same. Typical of some of the quotes being attributed to Mandela is this that appears in a Toronto Star op-ed by Haroon Siddiqui:
Our freedom is incomplete without the freedom of the Palestinians.
In fact, the full quote should read:
We know too well that our freedom is incomplete without the freedom of the Palestinians; without the resolution of conflicts in East Timor, the Sudan and other parts of the world.
Other conflicts have been removed from the quote to deliberately place the Palestinians at the center of the Mandela discussion. Here are some recent articles that address the Palestinian propaganda campaign that misappropriates the legacy of Nelson Mandela:
- Defaming Mandela, defaming Israel, Benjamin Pogrund, Ha’aretz
- Nelson Mandela and Zionism, Ben Cohen, The Algemeiner
- The big lie: that Mandela viewed Israel as an apartheid state, Jake Wallis Simons, Jewish Chronicle
- Don’t Distort the Meaning of Mandela, Jonathan Tobin, Commentary Magazine
- The hijacking of apartheid, Richard D. Heideman, Jerusalem Post
You can also find more resources on our page dedicated to The Apartheid State Libel.