The Blankfeld Award for Quality Journalism recognizes aspiring journalists who demonstrate a commitment to the values of objective and honest reporting, specifically in the field of the Arab-Israeli conflict.
It is dedicated to the memory of Eli Blankfeld, a journalist who documented Jewish life in Germany after World War II and during the period surrounding the creation of the State of Israel, after having lost his parents and sisters during the Holocaust.
An award of $2000 will be made to one recipient currently in full-time education. The recipient will also be committed to producing at least one original piece of writing for publication on the HonestReporting website.
Applicants should include the following information:
- Personal details including: Contact details, telephone number, email address, postal address, date of birth, school / college / university, area of study, year of study
- A cover letter addressing the selection criteria outlining main areas of interest, key objectives and relevance to Award criteria
- A brief CV/biography
Please address each criteria below in your covering letter.The broad criteria against which applicants will be assessed are:
- The submission of a maximum of three writing samples, maximum 1500 words each, of material published in the public domain i.e. in media (print or online), blogs or other recognized outlets during the period May 2011 – July 2012.
- The writing should demonstrate and reflect the applicants drive for honest representation of Israel in the news media including the following broad topics:
- How Israel is perceived and portrayed in the media
- Media ethics in the Middle East
- Israel as a Jewish state
A selection panel including HonestReporting staff and board members will choose the successful recipient of the Award. We expect the successful Award recipients will be announced in August 2012.
Applications should be sent by email, with attachments in Word or PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org by July 31, 2012. Hyperlinks to online material will be accepted.