The Blankfeld Award for Media Critique recognizes aspiring journalists who demonstrate a commitment to the values of objective and honest reporting, specifically in the field of the Arab-Israeli conflict.
It is dedicated to the memory of Eli Blankfeld, a journalist who documented Jewish life in Germany after World War II and during the period surrounding the creation of the State of Israel, after having lost his parents and sisters during the Holocaust.
An award of $2000 will be made to one recipient currently in full-time education. The recipient will also be committed to producing at least one original piece of writing for publication on the HonestReporting website.
Please address each criteria below in your covering letter. The broad criteria against which applicants will be assessed are:
- The submission of a maximum of three writing samples, maximum 1500 words each, of either unpublished original material or material published in the public domain i.e. in media (print or online), blogs or other recognized outlets during the period May 2012 – July 2013.
- The writing should demonstrate and reflect the applicants drive for honest representation of Israel in the news media including the following broad topics:
- How Israel is perceived and portrayed in the media
- Media ethics in the Middle East
- Israel as a Jewish state
- Responses to individual anti-Israel opinion pieces in the mainstream media
Applicants should include the following information:
- Personal details including: Contact details, telephone number, email address, postal address, date of birth, school / college / university, area of study, year of study
- A cover letter addressing the selection criteria outlining main areas of interest, key objectives and relevance to Award criteria
- A brief CV/biography
A selection panel including HonestReporting staff and board members will choose the successful recipient of the Award. We expect the successful Award recipients will be announced in September 2013.
Applications should be sent by email, with attachments in Word or PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org by August 15, 2013. Hyperlinks to online material will be accepted.