The 2018 Blankfeld Award for Media Critique recognizes aspiring journalists who demonstrate a commitment to the values of objective and honest reporting, specifically in the field of the Arab-Israeli conflict.
It is dedicated to the memory of Eli Blankfeld, a journalist who documented Jewish life in Germany after World War II and during the period surrounding the creation of the State of Israel, after having lost his parents and sisters during the Holocaust.
An award of $2,000 toward growth and professional development will be made to one recipient, either a recent graduate (from the previous year) or currently in full-time education in a recognized school of journalism or pursuing a journalism / media course at a recognized institute of higher education. The recipient will also become an HonestReporting Fellow for the year, committed to producing original pieces of writing for publication on the HonestReporting website.
The successful applicant will not only have his or her work featured by HonestReporting, but will also have the opportunity to attend special events and briefings organized by HonestReporting’s New York City hub as well as receiving first-hand interaction with HonestReporting’s staff and experts.
Who should apply?
An ideal HonestReporting Fellow is an excellent writer, follows current events, and has a strong interest in Israel and a personal commitment to professional journalism and influencing the public debate about Israel and the Israeli-Palestinian conflict through credible and ethical communication.
The winner of the Blankfeld Award will commit to the submission of at least one article per quarter for publication on the HonestReporting website in order to receive the $2,000 award in quarterly installments.
Please address each criteria below in your covering letter. The broad criteria against which applicants will be assessed are:
- The submission of a maximum of three writing samples, maximum 1500 words each, of either unpublished original material or material published in the public domain i.e. in media (print or online), blogs or other recognized outlets during the period September 2016 through October 31, 2017.
- The writing should demonstrate and reflect the applicant’s drive for honest representation of Israel in the news media including the following broad topics:
– How Israel is perceived and portrayed in the media;
– Media ethics in the Middle East;
– Israel as a Jewish state;
– Responses to individual anti-Israel opinion pieces in the mainstream media;
– Responding to the BDS (boycott, divestment and sanctions) campaign.
Applicants should include the following information:
- Personal details including: Contact details, telephone number, email address, postal address, date of birth, school / college / university, area of study, year of study;
- A cover letter addressing the selection criteria outlining main areas of interest, key objectives and relevance to Award criteria;
- A brief CV/biography.
A selection panel including HonestReporting staff and board members will choose the successful recipient of the Award. We expect the successful Award recipients will be announced in January, 2018.
Applications should be sent by email, with attachments in Word or PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org by November 31, 2017. Hyperlinks to online material will be accepted.
Find out more about our previous winners: