Israel Daily News Stream 05/14/2012May 14, 2012 13:36 by Pesach Benson
Everything you need to know about today’s media coverage of Israel and the Mideast.
AP obtains an illustration from inside an Iranian nuclear facility. Is it a smoking gun? Fatah prisoners in Gaza embarrass Hamas with their own hunger strike. Hope is running out that Egypt can finalize a constitution defining the president’s powers before election day.
Join the Israel Daily News Stream on Facebook.
Israel and the Palestinians
• Fatah prisoners in Gaza go on hunger strike to embarrass Hamas. According to the Jerusalem Post:
Hamas has denied arresting Palestinians because of their political affiliations. Hamas spokesman said that all the prisoners are being held for their involvement in criminal activities and collaborating with Israel.
- Accuses Israel of charging its critics with anti-Semitism to shut down legitimate criticism.
- Fails to acknowledge that hunger striking Palestinian prisoners may have been detained for legitimate reasons, including terrorism.
- Portrays the majority of Israel-supporting British Jews as being “instructed to hate” Palestinians and lacking in integrity.
• The Boycott-Divestment-Sanctions movement against Israel remains hot in Ireland. According to the Irish Times, the Ireland Palestine Solidarity Campaign is “targeting” novelist and poet Gerard Donovan. Donovan is scheduled to participate in this week’s International Writers Festival in Jerusalem.